Severe weather in Kitsap County often comes in the form of windstorms or snowstorms. The most common situation which can result is the loss of power. It is important to be prepared to deal with these situations which can result in no heat, no means to cook food and lack of light during the evenings.
Top Safety Tips for a Power Outage
- Only use a flashlight for emergency lighting. Never use candles!
- Turn off most electrical equipment you were using when the power went out, especially space heaters and the stove.
- Leave on a couple of lights so you know when the power comes back on.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer.
- Do not run a generator inside a home or garage.
- If you use a generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator. Do not connect a generator to a home's electrical system.
- Listen to local radio and television for updated information.