Kitsap DEM Home Page

Bolt It - Brace It - Do It


During an earthquake, the strength of a home is put to the test. Ground forces try to tear the home apart and in many cases, cause severe damage.  It’s important that the structural frame of your home is strong enough to absorb an earthquake’s energy. The “Bolt it-Brace it-Do it” Home Retrofit Program is being offered through a partnership with the Homebuilders Association of Kitsap County, Kitsap County Emergency Management, Simpson Strong-Tie, and the Building Departments of Kitsap County.


Why Should I Retrofit My Home? - 5 Questions to ask Yourself

1. Am I living in an area prone to earthquakes?
Kitsap County is in Seismic Design Category D, which is in a moderate or high seismic area.

2. Was my home built prior to 1985?
Homes built prior to 1985 are typically more vulnerable to earthquake damage. Most homes built after 1985 were designed to conform to stricter building codes and are most likely better equipped to resist the force of an earthquake.

3. Is my home built on a raised foundation?
If your house is not built on a concrete slab, chances are it’s built on a raised foundation (these homes typically have a crawl space). This supporting structure under the house may not have been built to resist seismic forces and can be highly susceptible to structural failure in an earthquake.                                      

4. Is my home built on a hillside?
Homes built on a hillside typically have raised foundations and tend to have more severe failures because the structural framing supporting the house – posts and cripple walls – are built at different heights.

5. Do I have a garage?
Garage door openings create vulnerable areas in a house. The narrow walls on either side of the garage door must be carefully designed to resist earthquake forces. This is extremely important if there is a living space above the garage because these rooms add weight that the garage framing must support. (Note: if you live in an older home with a living space above the garage or on a hillside, you’ll need to consult with a licensed structural engineer for design solutions.)